<< Back 1
6 7 8
9 10 Next
beginning of Humbert's presidency coincided with the establishment
of a student military training program, the third such to be organized
on the DePauw campus. United States military intervention in Korea
under United Nations auspices in the summer of 1950 raised the specter
of severely reduced enrollments as a result of male students being
drafted into the Armed Forces. The administration, with strong faculty
and student support, approached the federal government concerning
the possibility of introducing some kind of military training program.
In July 1951 the Defense Department responded by instituting a unit
of the Air Force Reserve Officers' Training Corps at DePauw.
Under the command of Lt. Colonel Frederick A. Sanders, this unit,
eventually known as the 235th Wing, enrolled nearly half of the
male student body in its first years. Cadets were not only exempt
from the military draft but also became eligible for commissions
in the Air Force Reserve upon the completion of two years of basic
and two years of advanced training, plus summer camp. The bowling
alleys in the gymnasium were converted into an indoor rifle range,
and once more marching men in cadet uniforms became a common campus
sight. A new honorary for advanced R.O.T.C. students was formed
and called the Arnold Air Society, and interested coeds organized
Angel Flight as a supporting group. Though enrollment in the unit
declined in later years, the program survived by adapting to changing
major accomplishment of the Humbert administration was the organization
of the School of Nursing in 1955. The university entered into an
agreement with Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis for a cooperative
program in nursing education that included two years of pre-nursing
classes at DePauw and two years of professional and clinical training
at Methodist Hospital. Graduates would receive the degree of bachelor
of science in nursing from DePauw University and become eligible
to take the licensing
examination to qualify as registered nurses. Fredericka E. Koch
of Methodist Hospital became the school's first director and was
succeeded in 1957 by Catherine M. Friddle. Eight young women entered
the program in the fall of 1955 and five graduated four years later.
By 1961 enrollments had grown into double digits.
In 1955 a faculty self-study committee funded by the Ford Foundation
for the Advancement of Education issued a report containing 56 specific
recommendations for improving DePauw's academic program. Strongly
supporting the university's commitment to the liberal arts, the
committee endorsed the general studies courses that had emerged
from the Experimental Program of a few years before and urged expansion
of the honors program and comprehensive examinations for all graduating
seniors. The report also suggested that the student body be expanded
to 2000 and eventually 2500, and that faculty teaching loads be
limited to 12 hours per week with a maximum of 100 students. These
ideas all helped shape the future direction of DePauw.
The language laboratory, a gift of Anne Hogate
Hamlet in 1951, was first located in East College
and later in the Roy O. West Library.
committee recommended new graduation requirements, which were shortly
afterwards adopted by the faculty. In all areas except physical
education and foreign languages requirements were increased. Two
hours of speech were added to the previously required six hours
of freshman composition, with the proviso that any student could
choose instead eight hours of combined oral and written work in
the basic communications course offered under General Studies. In
both the natural and the social sciences the minimum requirement
for graduation was raised from six to nine hours. A new group requirement
was added in the humanities, consisting of the former six-hour requirement
in philosophy and religion plus six hours of work in art, music,
or literature in either English or a foreign language. The latter
six hours could also be fulfilled by the history of civilization
course plus the senior colloquium in General Studies. The committee's
recommendation that three hours of Bible be required of all students
was not adopted.
foundations contributed significantly to university programs in
this period. Grants from the Danforth Foundation and the Lilly Endowment
made possible a pilot study for the expansion of the honors program
and curricular studies in various departments which led to the introduction
of such courses as Basic Beliefs of Modern Man and History of World
Civilizations. The Cold War in the 1950s also inspired the addition
to the curriculum of courses in Russian and Asian history and government.
In 1958 the university began offering courses in the Russian language
for the first time, leading eventually to the evolution of the department
of German language and literature into the German and Russian department,
with majors available in both languages.
Technical advances in this period included the introduction of International
Business Machines computing equipment for the use of the registrar
and other administrative offices in 1956. As a student publication
complained, the IBM computer was becoming the "god of registration."
A gift from alumna Anne Hogate Hamlet made possible the installation
of tape recorders in semi-soundproof booths for use in a language
laboratory in 1957. This laboratory, located at various times in
either the Roy O. West Library or East
College, helped to improve oral teaching methods and revitalize
the study of foreign languages at the university.
Some senior men wore
yellow corduroy trousers
with elaborate designs painted by underclassmen.
These ATOs sport their "cords" in front of
<< Back 1
6 7 8
9 10 Next