<< Back

Professor Jerome C. Hixson retired from the English department in 1967 after 43 years of teaching a variety of subjects, including one of the most popular courses on campus called, "Living Language." He taught a few more years on a part-time basis before moving to Englewood, Florida, where he resides presently with his wife Margaret. In his memoir, Past Perfect, he describes his experiences teaching physics to the young men of the Navy Flight Preparatory School (V-5).

Professor Jerome Hixson, 1927-67.

When the first classes started on January 1, 1943, the cadets did not have uniforms and other equipment. Many were marched into their classes by platoon leaders, all in civilian dress; but gradually military shoes, blouses, and other recognizable pieces of equipment appeared until the campus began to take on more of a military appearance. Of course for the remaining students, mostly women, regular classes went on as usual but not in Asbury Hall. They soon became familiar with the "one-two, one-two" as the cadets marched between Longden and Asbury, and to the athletic field. The cadets had no leisure time for social activities: they attended academic classes 48 hours a week, eight hours a day, six days in the week. The only way whereby Flight School could cover the required work was by strict attention to business. Christmas Day was a holiday only because the day's work was made up by extra classes on other days.
Inexorably, the examinations came under seal from Annapolis regularly each week. Inexorably, the weekly tests (4.0 was top) separated the fit from the unfit. On each crucial Saturday many cadets left offerings of pennies on the statue of Abraham Lincoln, then in the corridor of Asbury, in the hope of success so that they would not be "washed out" and lose all hope of becoming a flight officer...

Not only were uniforms and pieces of equipment lacking at the outset, but more seriously the rapidly assembled staff was obliged to plan and give courses before textbooks arrived. For example in the physics course which I was asked to give (on the basis of national emergency), we had to present the subjects of motion, heat, light, electricity, and sound with only a bare outline...

Early in the program a problem developed. Cadets became so appreciative of their instructors' work that some of them started presenting gifts such as hand-luggage. Of course, this had to be stopped. The instructors were only doing their duty. The sheer objectivity of the military regime completely obviated any dangers of favoritism. There was an inexorability in the impersonal questions which came in sealed envelopes from Annapolis and which were graded by machine...

Despite the necessary wartime regimentation in the V-5 school, there was some irrepressible fun. This happened in one of Reid Winsey's classes in flight. After the cadets had been marched into place by their platoon leader, the room was darkened for the showing of the film strips which were used in this and other branches of instruction. The warm, dark room provided an irresistable opportunity for needed rest. One cadet removed his military shoes and went to sleep on the back row. At the end of the hour, when the bell rang for the class to march out into the hall ... this unfortunate cadet could not find his shoes. Some comrade with a dry sense of humor had thrown them out the window, and the luckless youth had to march as best he could without them, hoping not to be disciplined!

The V-5 unit of the Naval Flight Preparatory School marching
down College Avenue to class in Asbury Hall.  By its end in 1944,
2464 men had completed the three month training program at DePauw.

Back to Top

<< Back

Depauw University e-history | E-mail comments to: archives@depauw.edu


People, Events  & Traditions

Recollections of War

Women Teachers of English

Percy L. Julian

Student Hangouts

The History Quartet

Speech Teachers

Religious Life

Hiram L. Jome

Little 500 and Other Traditions

Two Distinguished